South for the Winter – Virginia to Florida (10/20 – 11/1)
- 10/20 – 10/25
- 206 miles from Bear, DE to Ashland, VA
- Americamps RV Resort
- We planned our journey south to coincide with our friend Jess’ 40th birthday surprise party. She and her family, as well as several other friends from Arizona, moved back to Virginia a few years back, to be closer to family. It was so much fun being there for the party and catching up with everyone!
- One of the original architects of the Virginia State Capitol in Richmond was President Thomas Jefferson! The building has a rich history and was very nicely maintained.
- Jon drove around town and visited his old stomping grounds
Four Oaks, NC
- 10/25 – 10/27
- 183 miles from Ashland, VA to Four Oaks, NC
- Raleigh Oaks RV Resort and Cottages
- We visited the state capitol in Raleigh. The building is very old and not very well maintained, and functions as more of a museum than a functioning state house. The library was one of our favorite features.
- 10/27 – 10/30
- 188 miles from Four Oaks, NC to Summerton, SC
- Palmetto Shores RV Resort
- The state capitol in Columbia is an architectural masterpiece that exudes southern charm. The state is very proud of their capitol building and love conducting tours.
- Congaree National Park was about half way between the capitol and camp, so we stopped in on our way home. The park is home to the largest remaining area of old growth bottomland hardwood forests in the U.S. and is largely swampland. It was beautiful, but also teeming with aggressive mosquitoes, making it difficult to enjoy for long. We slathered ourselves in bug spray, wore mosquito bracelets, and were clothed from head to toe, but somehow the mosquitoes still managed to bite us both multiple times.
- We spent a day touring around historic Charleston. Many of the houses dated back to the late 1700s and the town was bustling with activity.
The South Carolina State Capitol in Columbia
- 10/30 – 11/1
- 157 miles from Summerton, SC to Townsend, GA
- Lake Harmony RV Park
- We visited the small town of Darien to see the scenic harbor filled with shrimp boats.
- We spent a day touring around Savannah. The streets were filled with charming mansions and parks.
The next stop will be Florida where we will spend our November.